Purchase or sale of a business is a complicated process for which experienced legal counsel is essential. When representing clients in such transactions, Cochran Allan attorneys start the process by learning as much as possible about the parties’ objectives in the transaction in order to advise client on a comprehensive set of issues ranging from business matters and financial risks to legal hurdles. Our goal is to identify possible challenges and put safeguards in place to prevent issues that may arise in the future, from negotiations and the due diligence phase to the final closing. We can guide business owners in the multi-stage process of buying or selling a business, including:
- Advising on the structure of the transaction (asset sale versus stock sale)
- Negotiating terms and drafting letters of intent
- Advising sellers on legal strategies to address issues raised during the due diligence process
- Advising buyers on conducting legal due diligence
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating the extensive documentation involved in a business transaction, such as asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, financing documents and security agreements
Given the complexity and scale of the issues involved in the sale of a business, it’s critical for both purchasers and sellers to retain a team of attorneys with knowledge and expertise in such matters to guide them through the process and safeguard their interests.